07 January 2009

Trac



Yesterday I experimented with Trac, from Edgewall.org, and was I pleased. Installation on my windows PC was painless, using Python 2.5.4 and sqlite database, especially since sqlite is included in the Python distribution.

The actual configuration of the server took some time, as I seemed to miss the whole authentification of user step. Once I had that sorted out, using a .htpasswd file, andthen some of the normal foward vs backward slash issues on Windows. It started up and I was able to get to the admin page (hint: the first login for TRAC-ADMIN is created via the command line, trac-admin executable).

Once the system was up and running, configuration of milestones, tickets, severity codes was very easy. One the eaiser web interfaces I have used.

It worked so well, I am thinking that I could you it for my own project tracking, keeping track of all my to do and project list, from house repairs to some CAP website stuff I should do. I kind of like the whole dumping my random "I should" ideas in as tickets and building projects from that. Now I just need to find a free trac setup on the web, so I can access it from anywhere. I guess I could also just get a domain and a cheap plan from Webfaction. Hmm.

Time will tell if the company uses Trac, its not an issue of technology as much as office politics, but then again when is that not the case.

No comments: